Thursday, May 1, 2008

the beauty of attraction

Today I ate a delicious garden salad at my family's restaurant, Home of Chicken and Waffles, and midway through my salad, a couple walked through the front door to be seated for an early evening meal. The held hands, the woman giggled as the man joked with her, and overall their interaction with one another was very kind and gentle; it was obvious that they adored each other. To the untrained eye, these two individuals were seemingly opposite. The woman had beautiful shiny hair and a breathtaking smile, she was conventionally beautiful, and the man...well, lets just say that I have seen more desirable looking men. As soon as the judgmental questions entered my thought process regarding the attraction between the two people, I caught myself and begin drilling myself on the preconceived notions of attraction that I hold within.

I seemed to find myself stuck on  the superficial aethetic qualities that people possess, and sure...I have heard the saying, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so why did I subconciously judge the woman and her attraction to an unconventionally beautiful man? I am refering to the man as beautiful simply because I know that in his woman's eyes, he is stunning...I could tell by the way her eyes glazed over him when he ordered his Number 9 and a glass of Chardonnay. What makes a person initially beautiful to another person? I am not convinced that someone's outter figure is hardly enough. There is more. What makes us go beyond that initial meeting and desire to "get to know" another person?

In certain situations, people start relationships with people with alterior motives, i.e. money, status, security, fear of being alone...and  also in most of these cases, if the person also has a nice personality, they will become beautiful to their mate. I once dated a person that I did not initially feel was entirely physically attractive, but I liked his personality and swagg, and 1 week into dating this person, I could not stop staring at them and thinking of how beautiful this person had become to me in such a short time period. This made me understand that physical beauty really lacks value, if it can be created and just as easily destroyed. Have you ever met a person who had an appealing look, but a horrible attitude? That person, in my eyes, has compromised their given outter beauty.

The laws of attraction are truly existent but loosely defined, thus we each make our own rules on what is and is not attractive, what may be less than beautiful to me from an outside prespective may be the most beautiful to the next person.

what is beauty anyway?


1 comment:

Miss Humes said...

I think a lot people are misguided on what beauty truly means when they children all the way up to their adulthood. I think beauty is truly accepting someone for who they are. This means not just accepting their outer appearance without considering the wonderful person they are inside. I think when you accept someone in this way you yourself and the other person is able to evolve into one beautiful being!

-CH