Friday, May 2, 2008

feminist femme: a perspective

I once met a feminist who did not take me seriously as a fellow feminist because of my constant trips to Thuy @ Narcissus Salon for Brazilian, leg, under arm and upper lip waxing; the layer of silk on top on my manicured pro- nails; and my extensive collection of fun toys, this was my response to her: Welcome to the world of the fabulous feminist femmes where we remain concerned with women's and LGBTQ rights in Chanel shades with lavender Lamé toes. 

Eye lash curlers, well, I have never used em, but I am a big fan of Diorshow and Benefit's Bad Gal mascara in black. I like the way the black guuuck transforms my lashes and thus, my entire face. It accentuates eyes, which are already merely fascinating, each and every set of eyes are spellbinding to me. My lashes have nothing to do with my commitment to the self empowerment of women, and me proclaiming that I am beautiful shouldn't offend the other ladies, it should empower them, shouldn't it?

My carefully organized collection of paints, powders, pigments and glosses should not suggest to you that I am attempting to conform or conceal, but instead that I am an artist, free flowing with my body as a formidable and familiar palate. Its like interior decorating on the exterior...placing candles and Dalí portraits in your loft doesn't mean that you don't love your loft without these ornaments. But it just simply means that you took the time to add some umph to your sanctuary. So please don't assume that some man in advertising at some big company is running my life.

I feel like a ingenious chemical engineer when I combine substances into all-purpose bases in a multitude of hues & textures, I call them my magic potions. Don't underestimate me because of my painted mauve pout, I have the power to chemically imbalance you, I am the Black Magic Woman that Carlos Santana talked about in 1960 something...HOT and AMAZING and most of all, POWERFUL.

I have the power to transform, transcend and transpire. My art work is like a brand new pair of red satin Christian Louboutins with the bow being worn during a civil rights debate with oh so convincing arguments...breathtaking, unable to duplicate. 

I am a self proclaimed feminist femme, don't just write me off as a plastic with self image issues because I like to play with my beautiful props. What does a feminist look like anywayz?

2 comments:

BMFD said...

a feminist has hairy legs arms and wears a flannel with wrangler jeans with rugged outback boots...lol.


Still laughing


Done

There is nothing wrong with being strong, independent, and girly at the same time. Strength is NOT associated with Masculinity

Miss Humes said...

The sheer being of "woman" is strength. We are undeniably phenomenal because we are able to balance so many emotions as well life situations and responsibilities. If thats not strength I don't know what is! We birth, rear, and nurture the world....