Saturday, May 24, 2008

recycling songs & thus emotions

Placing my iPod on random offers me a great deal of pleasure. I am able to experience and appreciate the songs that have been lost in my 5,000 or so songs in my iTunes library. Yesterday afternoon I spent my lunch break enjoying one of my "Random iPod Personal Parties" and a song came through my earphones that blatantly reminded me of a person that I previously involved myself with and I got to thinking...

As emotional beings, are we able to recycle songs and their significance to us? Or, will we always associate certain songs with certain relationships and persons? If this is the case, are we ever truly able to let past experiences completely cease, or do bits and pieces stay with us forever and are simply triggered by particular sounds and/or lyrics?

Furthermore, how would it work if we attempted to reassign or recycle songs and use them in our subsequent relationships? Is it possible to remove the memory of a past lover from a song and attach a current lover to the song within our minds?

Is this possible???