Wednesday, May 28, 2008

last night was a spectacular night: contrast.

last night was a spectacular night, but I didn't do anything too much out of the ordinary. caught up on some writing, did some packing for my move this coming weekend and chilled with ashley. we started discussing many topics, as we always do, covering lots of ground, incorporating lots of detail, digging beyond the actual occurrences, extracting symbols, signs and meanings, but this is all quite customary for us, this is how we communicate. there are a select few people in which I can converse with at this level (besides myself) and for these people, I am thankful, anyhow. . .

last night was a spectacular night, because I solved an open case file. we will all come to a certain point in life, which I refer to as a "low point." during this time, we fraternize with people we normally wouldn't offer the time of day, we act in ways that are inexplicable, we dig holes for ourselves and we fall into these deep, dark holes with seemingly permanent lasting effects. this is perfectly normal human behavior, I have not been close with a person yet who has not reached a low point. the thing about these "low points," is that during and thereafter we are usually stuck questioning ourselves and attempting to solve the equation that placed us in our holes. questions. . .confusion. . .leaving the case open, unsolved, hammering at our heads. it becomes a constant topic of ardent discussion, passionate details are repeatedly shared. . .all because, it puzzles us to a point in which we cannot shake it, it thus, becomes part of our identities.

last night was a spectacular night, because somewhere around 3:17am, I sat up and stared into the darkness as though I was being summoned by my soul, and in that moment, the case was closed, my low point was explained. I was forced to look into the now, the exactness of the moment my head rose from my pillow in order to truly, truly, truly recognize the pure bliss of life, the finer emotions, the authenticity of love. i realized that we must experience a low point, as a source of contrast. if there was no such thing as horrible, there would be no such thing as wonderful. i then began to think of all of my friends who i have seen hit the low point and i became convinced that their contrasts would soon be presented, as mine revealed itself 2.5 years later. do not go out and search for your contrast, it will come in its due time, but remain open to its presence.

your contrast is on the way.