Friday, May 2, 2008

dissecting cool

I am completely puzzled on how to actually define the meaning of "cool," and therefore, the meanings of "uncool" or "whack" or "bootsie," or my favorite term, "late." I can safely assume that the majority of people feel that they are hot and that their daily self expressions are the hottest of the hot; I am all for self confidence and self expression, but I have found myself and those closest to me refer to certain individuals as lame, and thus uncool. Do we really have the right to say that the next person is not hot? I guess what I am getting at is......................
what defines cool? And most importantly, who defines cool? Like all scales in life, there must be two polar opposites because without the lame there would be no cool and vis versa, but how can that really be determined? Is there a universal hottness that some people possess that is simply factual and is not up for discussion and with that said, is there a universal bootsieness?  Ideally, I would hope that we all strive to be the best that we can be while creating and sticking by our personal self images all with the same intention, to be cool. Whether people would like to admit it or not, we are all concerned with the image that people hold of us and we all make attempts to be relatively amazing, but who can decide who succeeds and who fails?

food for thought.

No comments: