Sunday, May 11, 2008

on holidays.

This morning I woke up and began reflecting. I am pleased by the fact that we have holiday's such as Mother's Day, but at the same time it forces me to think about the other 364 days of the year in between these special days. Appreciation of any element helpful to your life should be constant. I wont get into the whole political element of holidays, we have all heard the capitalist bashing arguments about marketed holidays, right? Halmark cards, Ghirardelli chocolates, Emilio Pucci Veuve Clicquot brunchs Betsey Johnson Gum Drop dresses & Tiffany charmbracelets on holidays are familiar to me no matter what the occasion may be: Mother's Day, Easter, Valentine's Day, Thanksgiving. If we are going to isolate one day for the celebration of a certain aspect of our lives, shouldn't each day be incredibly unique? Furthermore; shouldn't each day be a commemoration of just simply being alive and offering gratitude to all of the factors that contribute to the fabulousness of our daily lives? Well, since it is Mother's Day and I do plan on giving my Mommy a big box of "Peanut Butter Crunch Chocolates" from See's. . .she will know that my gift is not a superficial appreciation gift for this day, because I also got her a pair of Tory Burch ballerina flats to match mines and an eskander jacket, she loves those.

I appreciate my mother on a level beyond that of a holiday can contain. My mother has taught me the basics of being, existing. Not only has she spent endless hours taking care of me when I have been really sick, when I had my heart broken, when I just fell into one of my catty, rude moods that are released at times, and also when I am just Amina. We have shopped for shoes in Paris, had in depth conversations in London, had fabulous dinners in New York and chilled out on the beaches of Honolulu just to name a few special times that I shared with my mother. Today when I see her, I will hug her and have the same appreciation that I did yesterday and that I will have tomorrow and next Wednesday. Mother's day is everyday as far as I am concerned. . .as should every holiday of thankfulness.

::: Items that I have Mentioned:::

Emilio Pucci for Veuve Clicquot (My favorite sparkling wine)

Photobucket

Betsey Johnson "Gum Drop Dress"

Photobucket

Tiffany Charm Bracelet

Photobucket

Tory Burch Ballerina Flat

Photobucket

eskander long jacket (Mommy's favorite!)

Photobucket

No comments: